Pres. Duterte offers Third Telecom Carrier Slot to China

The tough-talking President of the Philippines made true to his promise of helping the online community thrives in the fast-changing world through technology by offering the People's Republic of China the privilege to operate the third telecommunications carrier in the country.



Pres. Duterte's offer to any Chinese telecom company could potentially end the existing duopoly in the telecom business which was dominated by giants like Globe Telecom and Smart PLDT Telecommunications companies.

According to the announcement released to the media by Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque Jr, the offer of Pres. Duterte was made during the extended bilateral meeting last week between Pres. Duterte and Chinese Premier Li Keqiang.

The President's offer to China was due in part to the country's proven track record in the telecoms industry as well as in consideration of the warming relationship between Manila and Beijing.

Spokesman Harry Roque was quoted as saying "The President said China has the capital and the technology to provide efficient telecom service. With the number of subscribers that Chinese telecoms companies have in China, there can be no doubt that they are amongst the biggest in the world,” he said.

“Consider also the proximity and the fact that we want to avail of as much economic advantage that we could arising from the renewed friendly ties with China,” Roque said.

Although there is no Chinese company yet who was designated as the third carrier in the Philippines, Roque said Pres. Duterte has instructed that all applications be filed and acted upon directly by the Office of the Executive Secretary.

“Upon submission of documents, it will take 45 days to decide whether or not it’s a go or no go. That’s how serious the President is in allowing a third party carrier to come in,” he said.

The offer for a Chinese company to be the third player in the telecoms industry comes after the Philippine government signed with an affiliate of Facebook to build a broadband infrastructure capable of providing a bandwidth of two terabytes per second.

Last November 15, 2017, for the very first time in the history of the Philippines, the Bases Conversion and Development Authority (BCDA), along with the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) and Facebook, signed an agreement for the Strategic Engagement and Collaboration to Undertake a Reliable and Efficient Government Internet (SECURE GovNet) project.

Called the Luzon Bypass of the Pacific Light Cable Network, Roque said the project’s capacity is equivalent to the current combined capacity of the duopoly operators today — Globe Telecom Incorporated and PLDT Incorporated.

Source: PNA

Pres. Duterte offers Third Telecom Carrier Slot to China Pres. Duterte offers Third Telecom Carrier Slot to China Reviewed by Phil Newsome on November 21, 2017 Rating: 5
Powered by Blogger.